Three years ago today… I married my best friend. How many people have written or said the same cliche’d line on their anniversary? Let me Google that for you: 5,900,000. BUT, in my case, it really is true. I mean, really.
Last night I asked the Mister where our external hard drive had gone because I have been very careful about not keeping much on my computer since the great crash of June 2010. All of our wedding photos are on that hunk of metal and I had been looking forward to going through hundreds from the wedding photographer and another couple thousand from friends in attendance. Since a big old grant is due on Wednesday and the Mister must meet that deadline, the external hard drive is in Hyde Park. So I spent thirty minutes going through boxes and boxes of crap in the closet looking for the CD that contained the originals. No dice.
Then I almost had a nervous breakdown and implored the Mister not to get into any accidents on the way home with the hard drive in tow tomorrow.
Luckily I found the Moo cards I ordered about a month after the wedding. So I took pics of the pics. I’m not a mushy mushy person so I will let some photos and a top ten list about the wedding– not the marriage, cause it’s the best one ever and I don’t wanna brag– do the talking for me.
Why My Wedding Was Awesome
10. It was on St Thomas, close to my first apartment.
9. Less than thirty people were in attendance.
8. We had BBQ from Texas Pit.
7. The Mister and I walked out to “Steppin’ Out.”
6. We had three adorable flower girls, one maid of honor and a best man. No wedding party drama! Except for when the Mister’s best friend read his portion of the ceremony from his Blackberry. I know you’re reading this CM!
5. Poolside at a botanical garden with a gorgeous view of Charlotte-Amalie.
4. My dad ripped a button off of his shirt while ironing and wore a buba instead of the suit he planned on.
3. We did a Yoruba tasting ritual, sampling bowls of lemon (sour), vinegar (bitter), cayenne (hot) and honey (sweet) presented to us by our friends. Each flavor represents the emotions you go through in a marriage and you end with honey to show how sweet it is, no matter what. (OMG I almost cried typing that.)
2. We had next day photos taken at the beach.
1. We got married a day early because of a big old hurricane warning; half of the stuff I wanted to get done didn’t happen, there weren’t chairs for the ceremony and one person almost missed it. All worth it; the major glitch meant I could blame anything that went wrong on Hurricane Dean and my stress evaporated. And in the end? A tiny sprinkling of rain.